We have kind of turned over a new leaf in our house when it comes to healthy eating. We are heading down the right direction and trying to make changes in how we all eat. We have been loosing weight (Jeff is down 35 pounds, and I'm down 20), and learning all sorts of new things about what's good for you and what's not. We also started with some AdvoCare products and started making a business out of it which has been exciting on it's own.
We started doing a local co-op here of organic fruits and veggies which has been really inspiring to me. I love having all of this in my house.
We soon learned, though, that we were going to have to get creative to eat of all this before it went bad. So we bought a Vitamix and I am now constantly making smoothies, ice creams, sorbets and soups. Love that thing! I've also been making new breakfast and snack items for the girls to snack on that aren't horrible for them. The other day we made these Applesauce Zuchinni muffins. They were a big hit and too delicious not to share!
And little girl approved!
Here is the recipe:
Batter:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used 1tsp because I love cinnamon!)
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup zuchinni pureed
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 large egg
Topping:
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter melted
Directions:
Preheat over to 400. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or baking cups.
To make topping, stir together oats, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in butter.
To make batter, combine oats, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. In a second bowl, mix the apple sauce with the milk, vegetable puree, sugar, oil and egg with a wooden spoon. Add the flour mixture slowly, stirring until just moistened.
Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel topping. Bake until the topping is lightly browned, about 18-20 minutes.


0 comments:
Post a Comment