Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Landon Jeffrey is here

Our sweet boy, Landon Jeffrey, made his way into this world on October 11th (10-11-12) at 7:33 am. He was 7 pounds 13 ounces, and 20 inches. It's always so hard for me to put into words that first moment that I see and hear my baby, but it was a moment that will never be forgotten. Everytime I have entered that operating room for a c-section I live for that second that I hear my sweet baby cry and I know everything is okay. This c-section was so fast and before I knew it Landon was here!

Here is my sweet boy getting weighed right after birth.
My heart was over flowing when I finally got to see him and kiss his cute cheeks. I just wanted to hold him. I thought I just had to wait a little bit til I got to hold him and nurse him, but unfortunately they took him right away to the NICU and I didn't get to hold him til about 3 hours later and I didn't get to nurse him til nearly 24 hours later. That was a very rough day for me. He ended up having a arterial flutter, meaning that his heart had a very irregular heart beat. It was jumping all over the place. At one moment it would be at 164 and then it would jump to 210. This is very rare but also very dangerous. The doctors decided that his heart needed to be shocked, to kind of restart it so to speak. He had to get an I.V to mildly sedate him. For this reason I couldn't nurse because he was so out of it, so they had to put him on a feeding tube. I was able to pump so he was getting milk from me in his tube. Here he is getting an EKG done before the shock was done.
I was able to get to hold him for just a little bit before his heart shock. This moment was what got me through the rest of the day. I was a bit of a mess! I didn't to see him or hold him again for about 6 hours later. Because I had a c-section I couldn't walk yet so they had to wheel my whole bed back downstairs to the NICU. It was quite the ordeal. It was so so awful! Jeff didn't get to hold him til late that night. He was so sweet to make sure I got to hold him when we were allowed to be down there. But praise God he was released the next day to our room.
He also ended up having another issue as well. Jeff was looking at him a few hours after a birth and noticed a cut behind his ear. The closer he looked he realized it was huge cut, so deep he could actually see bone! We never figured out what happened, but it was more of a tear than a cut. He had to get stitches that day as well as a heart shock. Luckily the circumcision wasn't for two days later! Later that evening Alicia brought the girls up to the hospital to see us and meet their baby brother. They were so excited! Here is our first family picture.
We all went back to my room after they saw him so we could spend some time with them and give them a little present. They all got a new baby too!
Jeff bought me a beautiful new necklace. Now before you look at these pictures of me please know that I seriously spent most of the day crying! I have such a sweet husband who makes me feel so special.
Here is our cute boy his last few hours in the NICU.
This is all the day of his birth. It will be another post of the rest of our hospital stay!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm so glad you are both doing well now! Congrats on a baby boy!

Diana Richards said...

Oh friend!!! I can't imagine how difficult that was!! Hoping that you guys are home, safe, and healthy now!! Congrats, he is adorable!! (no surprise there-you guys make amazing kids!) ;)
Diana

Melodie said...

so glad he is here and healthy! thanks for posting some pics for us!