Thursday, June 28, 2012

Our Summer So Far...

Well so far it's hot!!! And I mean hot. Of course I am pregnant this summer, but goodness gracious it is pretty miserable. So we are trying to stay as cool as we can. Today I was actually home and done with grocery shopping by 10:00. That's a new record for me, but I was determined to beat the heat! But we have been having lots of fun playing at home, playing with friends and trying some new things! Last week the big girls had their first trip to VBS. They had so much fun and were thrilled every day to wake up and go. Our home church still meets at a high school so we didn't have VBS at our church, so we went to the same church we go to for choir and some friends from our church went with us. It was great. First of all it was great for the girls to do something different all while learning more and more about Jesus, but second of all it was so nice to have so much one on one time with Avery and a little extra freedom. Here they are before heading out to their first VBS.

Avery really wanted to be involved in the picture taking!
This was for crazy hat day.
At the end of the week they had family night. We got to hear all the songs they sang and watch all their cute dances. I had so much fun watching my girls during this time. They were just too cute. Then afterwards we enjoyed some ice cream sundaes. It wouldn't have been the same if the Surguy's weren't there having fun with us. We love this family!
m
Even though it is hot out we still had fun baking these yummy shortbread cookies one day.
We have been doing swim lessons for three weeks now, almost every day. Our friend from church has been teaching them along with a couple of other families for super cheap, which has been such a blessing. They have really been doing well. Aubrey can finally swim by herself, she just needs a little more confidence. Adalyn is still pretty fearful but we are trying to help her move past it (she had a scary experience last summer and I know that this is where the fear is coming from). And Avery is going to pass them both up! That girl is our wild girl and literally just tries to walk right in the water. Nothing phases her in the water and I'm pretty sure she will be swimming long before she is four like the other two! Sadly I keep forgetting to take pictures so I may have to come back and add a few later.
Apart from swim lessons we have spent lots of time at the pool. It's just about all you can do to be the heat, right!
Play dough is always fun, and a nice cool indoor activity, kind of my favorite these days.
And of course we have been doing lots of crafts. This craft was really fun and a pretty big hit with the girlies. We started with this, plus two jars.
I poured salt onto a paper plate, and with the side walk chalk they colored the salt.
Then when each pile of salt was colored I poured it into their jars with a funnel to create the look of sand art.
Then they poured some glue in to the top to seal the salt in the jar.
And the finished product. These were so fun!
This is what Avery was doing during craft time. This also happens to be her favorite new thing to do. She LOVES it!
So yes, we have had a busy and just a fun fun summer so far. Now that July is just days away the fun I'm sure will only continue!

1 comments:

Melodie said...

the sand art looks so fun! who would have thought to color salt with chalk?! and my boys have loved some playdough fun on the days we are not in the water. honestly, we are in the water or inside with AC. so i can't even imagine HOUSTON and the higher humidity. loved the pictures and great ideas you're sharing. :)