Thursday, April 30, 2015
Fixing Our Eyes
This picture of my boy...what can I say. Well, it really makes me laugh. Let me set the scene for you. If you live in Texas, then you are familiar with your car being coated in yellow pollen for about a week every year in the spring. And I mean, a thick coat of yellow pollen! This particular Sunday our van was completely coated, although we had just had it washed a few days earlier. After church we decided to run through the drive through car wash just to rinse it all off. Landon freaked out! This was not his first car wash. He had been a few times before and never had an issue but, my goodness, he was not happy about this one! He just closed his eyes, covered his ears and cried "no" over and over until the car wash was over. The whole time! Jeff and I were in the front seat trying to get him to open his eyes and look at us. We were trying to tell him it was okay, there was nothing to be scared of, but he wouldn't dare open his eyes! At some point I just turned around and was laughing so hard I was crying! The girls in the back were trying to hold their laughs in as well. I was laughing quietly... but tears just streaming down my face. Jeff was trying to hold back, and he kept giving me the look like "don't let him see you laughing at him". It was just a completely hysterical moment to me! Great mothering... I know.
Once we pulled out of the car wash, I immediately hopped out and gave my boy a great big hug! Poor little guy was just genuinely scared.
Isn't this how we are though? As we walk through life on the path God has laid for us, we walk along happy as can be. That is... As long as the path is completely straight with no sharp turns where we can't see around the corner. Then God decides it's time to shake things up a little bit, to put in some sharp unexpected turns. Or He puts great burden on our heart and pushes us to do something about it. How do we respond? We sit there like Landon did. Plugging our ears, closing our eyes, saying "nope, not me" over and over again. Scared out of our minds! However, if we would just open our eyes, we would see God right in front of us. If we would stop plugging our ears, we would hear the tender voice of our Father just asking us to trust Him. If we would stop saying "no", and instead start saying "yes", then there is no telling where God could take us and what He could really do through us. He longs for us to take His hand and just trust Him. To be ready and willing to be His hands and feet on this earth of hurting lost people. Most days, I can hardly see passed the mounds of laundry, the ever growing sink of dirty dishes, the school lessons needing to be completed, the incredible amount of diapers to be changed and meals to be made, to actually see where God could use me and where He wants to use me. He reminds me oh so very often, in my quiet moments with Him, that I am serving where He wants me... At home with my children, serving and teaching and leading. However He also reminds me that there is a massive hurting world out there, right under my nose. And if I could say "yes", if my whole family could say "yes", that He would use US. He created me for a MUCH bigger purpose than I could ever see or imagine on my own. God is starting to do a great work in my heart. I have a had a couple of Landon moments, with my eyes squeezed shut, not feeling capable, but in each of those moments He has so gently reminded me of this...
"For I am (we are) God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
Ephesians 2:10
And this...
"In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight"
Proverbs 3:6
And this...
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6
So in those fearful "Landon" moments I want to remember to look to Him ...trust Him and His word ...bow my knee to His sovereignty. Every day, all day! He uses those who are willing.
Posted by The Skains Family at 9:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment